Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken with Pineapple
This post may contain affiliate links.
This Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken is packed with pineapple flavor thanks to the combination of pineapple preserves and canned pineapple. Serve it over rice for a quick weeknight dinner!
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken Recipe
Dinner that reminds me of dining outdoors in Hawaii with my toes in the sand and gentle waves crashing in the background is my kind of dinner. Especially if it’s ridiculously easy because my slow cooker does the work.
I just love pineapple, and while I usually think of using it as a dessert ingredient or use it in smoothies and cocktails (although I’ve gone savory with pineapple), this slow cooker pineapple chicken recipe incorporates pineapple three ways along with juicy, moist, and tender chicken.
There’s pineapple chunks, pineapple juice, and pineapple jam, along with soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, ketchup, brown sugar, sesame oil, Asian chili-garlic sauce, ginger, and cilantro, and green onions.
So many layers of sweet, tangy, and savory flavors will have everyone asking for seconds. It reminds me of a pineapple cousin to my Slow Cooker Orange Chicken, but with a slight kick from the Asian chili-garlic sauce I used. I used 2 heaping tablespoons, but you can decrease the amount if you prefer milder flavors.
There’s plenty of cooking sauce leftover in the bottom of the slow cooker, which I spoon generously over the chicken, rice or noodles, and vegetables.
How to Make Hawaiian Chicken in a Slow Cooker
Add the pineapple preserves, juice from the canned pineapple, ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil, chili-garlic sauce, garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper into a bowl. This is the Hawaiian chicken sauce — set it aside for now, as you’ll be adding it to the slow cooker later.
To a large, gallon-sized plastic bag, add the chicken and cornstarch. Seal the bag and toss to coat chicken evenly, then place chicken in the bottom of a greased slow cooker. Add the pineapple chunks over the chicken, followed by the sauce mixture.
Cook covered on high for about 2 hours or on low for about 4 hours. Slow cookers tend to cook at different rates (it depends on the brand, etc), so begin checking your chicken about 45 minutes before it’s supposed to be finished cooking, just to be safe.
Add chicken and pineapple to a plate with as much extra cooking sauce spooned over the top as desired. I like to garnish me slow cooker pineapple chicken with fresh cilantro and green onions, but they’re completely optional.
Tips for the Best Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
Please note I haven’t made this recipe without a slow cooker so I can’t give specifics about how to tweak it if you don’t have one. I have other chicken recipes listed below the recipe card that you can try until you can make this slow cooker Hawaiian chicken recipe.
When you add the sauce to the chicken and pineapple chunks, use the back of a spoon to spread the sauce into every nook and cranny of the chicken. You want the sauce to completely coat the chicken as it cooks so that you get the best flavor.
If you hate doing the dishes like I do, I recommend investing in some slow cooker liners and using one for this recipe. This way, you can just grab the bag of Hawaiian chicken right out of the slow cooker and put the entire machine back into your pantry right away.
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken — The easiest peanut chicken ever and your slow cooker does all the work! Topped with crunchy peanuts, cilantro, green onions, and the peanut sauce is irresistible!
- Slow Cooker Beef Chili — Easy, hearty comfort food that’s packed with flavor that develops beautifully as the chili simmers away in your slow cooker.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala — Make this Indian favorite at home in 30 minutes in your pressure cooker, or make it in your slow cooker!
- Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa — Learn how to make authentic-tasting barbacoa beef in your Instant Pot or slow cooker!! EASY, tastes BETTER than a restaurant, and is a dinnertime WINNER!!
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup — After browning ground beef, onions, red and green peppers, and garlic on the stove, transfer everything to your slow cooker where it simmers away in a tomatoey broth.
- 3/4 cup pineapple preserves or jam
- one 20-ounce can pineapple chunks, drained; set aside pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Asian chili-garlic sauce (found in the Asian aisle of most major grocery stores; sriracha may be substituted)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced or pressed with a garlic press
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.75 to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, finely minced for garnishing
- 3 tablespoons green onions, sliced into thin rounds for garnishing
- To a large bowl, add the pineapple preserves, pineapple juice (save and set aside the pineapple chunks), ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil, chili-garlic sauce, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, and whisk to combine; set sauce aside.
- Line a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker with a liner if using one. I prefer to use liners for easy cleanup.
- Drizzle olive oil over bottom of the liner or slow cooker; set aside.
- To a large, gallon-sized ziptop plastic bag, add the chicken, cornstarch, seal bag, and toss to coat chicken evenly. Add chicken to slow cooker, evenly distributed.
- Add the pineapple chunks over the chicken, evenly distributed
- Pour pineapple sauce mixture over the top, using a spoon to distribute the sauce if necessary, making sure all pieces are coated.
- Cook covered on high for about 2 hours or on low for about 4 hours. If cooking on high, start checking at 90 minutes (mine was done at 1 hour 40 minutes) and if cooking on low, start checking at 3 hours. All slow cookers vary so cook until chicken is done (reaches 165F on an instant read thermometer).
- Add chicken and pineapple to a plate with as much extra cooking sauce spooned over the top as desired, garnish with cilantro, green onions, and serve immediately. Dish is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat gently as desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 505Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 1099mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 39gProtein: 50g
Even More Easy Chicken Recipes:
Jerk Chicken with Caramelized Pineapple and Mango – Easy and ready in 15 minutes! Dinner that tastes like a tropical vacation is a guaranteed hit!
One-Pan Barbecue Chicken and Roasted Sweet Potatoes – Juicy chicken and tender potatoes roasted on one pan! The barbecue sauce keeps everything super moist and flavorful! Fast, easy, and zero cleanup!
One-Pan Honey Lemon Chicken and Roasted Potatoes – Juicy chicken with a honey lemon glaze that’s tangy-sweet and so good!! Healthy, fast, so easy, and cleanup is a breeze!!
One-Skillet Orange Chicken with Vegetables – Easy, ready in 15 minutes, healthy (no breading, no frying), and the orange flavor just pops! Perfect for busy weeknights, a family favorite, and you’ll make this over and over!
Chicken Teriyaki and Vegetable Bowtie Pasta – Juicy chicken coated in teriyaki sauce with crisp, crunchy veggies! Healthy, easy, 20 minute meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.