Soft & Fluffy Strawberry Banana Cake — This cake is so soft, moist, fluffy! It’s packed with creamy bananas and sweet strawberries. It’s such a rich, flavorful cake!
Easy Strawberry and Banana Cake
I love the combination of strawberries and bananas, but had never put the two together into a cake. Now I can check strawberry banana cake off my culinary to-do list.
The cake is so soft, moist, and packed with creamy bananas and sweet strawberries.
And it just happens to be vegan, but you’ll never miss the eggs or butter. It’s such a rich, flavorful cake and no one will ever suspect it’s vegan.
My family devoured it first. Then I told them it was on the healthier side of the cake spectrum and vegan.
It’s an easy, no mixer cake that takes just minutes to get in the oven and it’s perfect for your extra ripe bananas and takes advantage of all those strawberries that are coming into season now.
It’s a perfect cake for showers, brunches, or as a just-because cake when your eyeballs are bigger than your stomach and you have too many ripe bananas or ripe seasonal fruit around!
Although I have 40+ banana bread and banana recipes, there’s always room for one more. The cake reminds me of banana bread that’s baked as a cake with an abundance of juicy strawberries and we loved it.
What’s in the Strawberry Banana Cake?
To make this easy strawberry and banana recipe, you’ll need:
- Granulated sugar
- Coconut oil
- Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Margarine (or butter)
How to Make Strawberry Banana Cake
To make the cake, simply whisk together sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, and Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. I love this stuff. It only has 30 calories per 8 ounces, tastes great, and if I need a vegan milk, this is my absolute go-to.
All Silk products are dairy-free and gluten-free and I like that Silk is committed to and believes in the benefits of a plant-based diet.
Then, add the bananas, flour, baking powder, and the strawberries. Turn the batter into a 9-inch square pan and bake until the center is set. Let the cake cool before glazing it.
The glaze is a simple confectioners’ sugar and Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk glaze and it’s optional because the cake is already sweet and moist enough without it, but everything is just that much better with a little glaze on it.
Can I Use Frozen Strawberries?
Yes! Fresh or frozen berries work well in this recipe (I used frozen and added them to the batter straight from the freezer). Whether you use fresh or frozen, they add great flavor and even more moisture to the cake.
Can I Substitute the Coconut Oil?
The cake doesn’t taste overly coconutty. Rather, it’s subtly perfumed with coconut undertones, which is heavenly with the bananas and berries, but substitute with another oil if you prefer.
Tips for Making a Strawberry and Banana Cake
Feel free to swap out the strawberries for peaches, plums, nectarines, blueberries, or raspberries. This is a fairly forgiving batter.
I made this cake in a 9-inch baking pan, but you can also double the ingredients and bake it in a 9×13-inch pan.
Do NOT bake the cake in a 9-inch round cake tin. It holds less volume than a 9-inch square pan. If you only have a round pan on hand, discard the extra batter or try baking it in a muffin tin.
Pin This Recipe
Soft and Fluffy Strawberry Banana Cake
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup liquid-state coconut oil
- ¼ cup Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups ripe mashed bananas, about 3 medium bananas
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 1 heaping cup diced strawberries, fresh or frozen (if using frozen, thaw and drain them)
- about 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon softened margarine, butter may be substituted but it’s not vegan
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, coconut oil, milk, and vanilla. If your milk is very cold, it could cause the coconut oil to solidify into small white blobs; it’s okay if that happens.
- Add the bananas and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, optional salt, and stir to combine. Batter will be lumpy; don’t overmix or cake will be tough.
- Add 1 cup of strawberries and gently fold to combine; reserve a few pieces for top of cake.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with reserved strawberry pieces.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until center is set and slightly spring to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Watch your cake, not the clock, and always bake until done noting that climate, oven, moisture in bananas and strawberries, and exact ingredients used effect baking time.
- Place pan on a wire rack and allow cake to cool for at least 30 minutes before optionally glazing. While cake cooks, makes the glaze.
- To a small bowl, add 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, milk, margarine, and whisk until smooth. Depending on desired consistency, you may need to play with sugar and milk ratios slightly.
- Evenly drizzle the glaze over the cake before slicing and serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
©averiecooks.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
More Strawberry Dessert Recipes:
The Best Strawberry Banana Bread — This strawberry bread is packed with fresh, juicy strawberries in every bite! This is an easy, no-mixer quick bread recipe you’re going to love!
Strawberry Coffee Cake — Sweet juicy strawberries are found in every bite, and the cream cheese glaze is the perfect tangy complement to the creamy, sweet cake.
Strawberry Oatmeal Bars with Crumble Topping — These buttery bars are bursting with fresh strawberries!! Just 10 minutes of prep, so EASY because the crust and crumble are one and the same, and a crowd FAVORITE every time!!
Lemon Strawberry Bars — Imagine crossing lemon bars with a strawberry pie. These easy bars taste like strawberry lemonade! Sooo good!
Crustless Fresh Strawberry Pie — FAST, super EASY, no-mixer dessert that’s perfect for summer entertaining, picnics, or potlucks!! Somewhere in between pie, cake, and blondies is what you get with this FABULOUS recipe!
Strawberry Poke Cake — This strawberry Jello cake uses just four ingredients and is a hit at parties and potlucks! It’s a moist, refreshing dessert you’ll definitely want seconds of!
Strawberry Bars — Easy, no mixer bars with a shortbread crust, one pound of fresh berries, a layer of sweet custard, and creamy whipped topping!! A perfect warm weather dessert that everyone LOVES!!