The Best Homemade Margaritas: All-Natural, 3-Ingredients

This is the best homemade margarita recipe I’ve tried, and the easiest.

The Best Homemade Margaritas: All-Natural, 3-Ingredients - No sugar so you can sip worry-free! They go down way too easily!

If there’s one drink that should be so simple, but somehow turns so complicated, I think it’s a margarita.

There’s blended, on the rocks, from mix that comes in gallon-sized jugs, sometimes with alcohol already added and sometimes without.

Some margaritas are made with just tequila and others with a smorgasbord of other booze added including triple sec, Cointreau, Gran Marnier, Chambord, and more.

I’ve gone back to basics and there’s no mix, concentrate, and nothing complicated or fussy. No simple syrup to make, no blender to dirty, just three basics: lime juice, agave, tequila.

I prefer my margaritas boldly tart but sweet enough to balance the tartness, and not shy with the tequila.

You’ll need to find the exact ratio of ingredients that you enjoy best. Even a half shot glass of lime juice or small drizzle of agave can have a big effect on taste. Play around with the recipe to find your happy place, pun intended.

You can doctor up the basic mixture as you like by adding other liquors, or add a handful of strawberries, put it all in a blender, and you’ve got a frozen strawberry margarita in seconds.

I use freshly squeezed lime juice and recommend doing so. Agave is sold in nearly all grocery stores these days. I’ve used honey in a pinch, too. If you prefer to make a simple syrup instead, be my guest.

The choice of tequila is up to you. I use decent tequila, but not super fancy. I can’t afford $75 small bottles and frankly only care that I don’t get a massive headache from it. Choose a trusted favorite.

In the recipe section I referred to the ingredients as shots. Some recipes use ounces, cups, and shots, all in one. Holy confusion after you’ve had a few.

The very average-sized shot glass I use (not a jumbo frat-house style shot glass) holds the same amount of liquid as a 1/4-cup measure, which makes it easy to make the recipe in bulk. X parts this to Y parts that.

Feel free to make a big batch and keep it for a few days in the fridge.

While you could technically share the recipe as written, after having one, you’ll want another. So plan on it serving one, nicely. You can sip worry-free since there’s no sugar.

They go down so incredibly easy. Especially on vacation.

Print Print Recipe

The Best Homemade Margaritas: All-Natural, 3-Ingredients

This is the best homemade margarita recipe I've tried, and the easiest. Only 3 ingredients and nothing fake, neon green, or full of sugary chemicals in sight. They're tart and sweet enough, but not too sweet, and go down incredibly easy. I use freshly squeezed lime juice and recommend doing so. Agave is sold in nearly all grocery stores and big box retailers, although I've used honey in a pinch. The average-sized shot glass I use holds the same amount of liquid as a 1/4-cup measuring cup. It's easy to make the recipe in bulk. X parts this to Y parts that. Feel free to make a big batch and keep it for a few days in the fridge. While you could technically share the recipe as written, after having one, you'll want another. No sugar so you can sip worry-free, and they go down way too easily!

Yield: serves 1, nicely

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

1 to 1 1/2 shots lime juice (1 shot glass equals 1/4 cup liquid)
2 shots water
1 to 2 shots tequila
1/2 to 1 shot agave nectar, or to taste
ice

Directions:

1. Over a large cup, squeeze limes, about 2 medium/large, ripe limes. Tip - Paler green limes and those with yellow spots, and those with thin skin are juicier than darker-skinned limes or those with thicker skin. Medium/large limes seem to release their juice easier than small limes.
  2. Add the water, tequila, agave, and stir. Taste and see if you need to make tweaks.
  3. If desired, strain mixture to remove any lime pulp, although I don't bother.
  4. Add ice generously, and stir or shake (by putting another cup over the top).
  5. Serve immediately. Recipe is intended for those whom alcohol use is legal, done responsibly, and is appropriate.

Related Recipes

5-Calorie Raspberry Lime Margarita Fizz (non-alcoholic, vegan, gluten-free) – 5-Calorie Raspberry Lime Margarita Fizz (non-alcoholic) – Cool, refreshing & won’t break your caloric bank with only 5 calories!

5-Calorie Raspberry Lime Margarita Fizz (non-alcoholic, vegan, gluten-free) - 5-Calorie Raspberry Lime Margarita Fizz (non-alcoholic) - Cool, refreshing & won't break your caloric bank with only 5 calories!

Malibu Sunset

Malibu Sunset from Aruba - Fun, Fruity, Easy Drink Recipe & Island Pics at averiecooks.com

Rum Runner

Rum Runner @Averie Sunshine {Averie Cooks}

Mango Coconut Water Tropical Martini

Mango Coconut Water Tropical Martini (only 100 calories) averiecooks.com

Peach Mango Pineapple White Sangria (vegan, GF)

Peach Mango Pineapple White Sangria (vegan, GF)

Coconut Water Champagne Fruit Punch (vegan, GF)

Coconut Water Champagne Fruit Punch (vegan, GF)

Homemade Baileys Irish Cream– Make in blender in less than 1 minute

Creamy Nutella Martini

Creamy Nutella Martini - Everything's Better with Nutella. Easy Recipe at averiecooks.com

Creamy Boozy Iced Coffee

Creamy Boozy Iced Coffee averiecooks.com

Key Lime Pie Bars

Key Lime Pie Bars - Plenty of bold lime flavor in these easy bars that are a twist on the classic pie everyone loves!

86 Responses to “The Best Homemade Margaritas: All-Natural, 3-Ingredients”

1. Paula — April 24, 2014 at 3:42 am (#

Jon would love this! He’s not into sweet mixed drinks but loves lime with vodka or tequila. A little agave to mellow things out would be all he’d need. I think I’ll surprise him with a little cocktail when he gets home tomorrow.

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Well aren’t you just scoring brownie points left and right then! :) LMK what he says!

2. My Linh — April 24, 2014 at 4:06 am (#

Yum, this looks really refreshing! And I laughed so hard reading your post ” Holy confusion after you’ve had a few.” hahahaha.. Thank you for sharing ^^

3. Maryea {happy healthy mama} — April 24, 2014 at 4:46 am (#

This is exactly how we make our margaritas. I’ll never go back to adding the other junk. This is margarita perfection.

AMEN! :)

4. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice — April 24, 2014 at 5:25 am (#

Is it bad that I want this margarita, like right now, and it’s only 7:20 in the morning?! This looks so delicious and easy to prepare! Can’t wait to try this one out!

Not bad at all :)

5. Chelsea @ Gal on a Mission — April 24, 2014 at 5:58 am (#

This is just how I like my margarita as well, Averie! Nothing fancy, but just simple and basic ingredients! Looks fabulous! :)

6. Allison @ Lighten Up! — April 24, 2014 at 6:21 am (#

Margaritas are my go-to drink and these are PERFECT for cinco de mayo coming up! I love that there are no mixes involved and that agave stands in for sugar. Can’t wait to try these!

7. Aimee @ ShugarySweets — April 24, 2014 at 6:48 am (#

I can’t take drink photos to save my life! This looks stunning, PINNED :)

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Normally I make stunt drinks for the camera since I never know how many tries it will take me but these were 100% real :) And I was taste-testing in between set changes. LOL I guess you should try that. It was also 90F in my hot Aruban house and I was kneeling on the floor sweating. Oy vey. The things we do!

8. Denise | Sweet Peas & Saffron — April 24, 2014 at 6:55 am (#

What a gorgeous, simple drink, and beautiful photos! I have had the sort of week where I may need one of these things in my life tonight (even though it’s only Thursday)

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Thanks for all the compliments!

9. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — April 24, 2014 at 7:05 am (#

I so totally need one of these. Now would be good. I mean…lemon juice has it’s place in the morning, right??? Pinned of course!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Thanks for pinning and this is one of the lime recipes I told you about. There’s another one too. We need these for Miami!

10. Mir — April 24, 2014 at 7:44 am (#

This is so much healthier than the usual margarita mixes with all the high-fructose corn syrup. Thanks for posting this delicious and healthy alternative! It’s definitely that time of year.

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Thanks for the compliments!

11. Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — April 24, 2014 at 8:18 am (#

This is making me want a margarita before lunch! I love the all natural ingredients – no icky neon flavored mixings!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Neon was college, but I’ve moved on :)

12. Jessica @ Portuguese Girl Cooks — April 24, 2014 at 9:12 am (#

Great photos Averie! This is how I generally make my margaritas too! You now have me craving one :)

Averie Sunshine Reply:

That’s great you do it similarly! Great minds…. :)

13. Paula — April 24, 2014 at 9:58 am (#

Perfection! I love the use of agave in this! Simple is often times better, Thanks Averie!

14. Stephanie @ Everyday Feasts — April 24, 2014 at 11:21 am (#

These photos are gorgeous and I love your simple approach! I just bought some new glasses, and I think this margarita is just the thing to christen them with :)

15. Katie — April 24, 2014 at 12:38 pm (#

Love this recipe!! I also love this line ‘serves 1, nicely’

INDEED. ;)

16. Jennifer — April 24, 2014 at 2:37 pm (#

This looks great, I love margaritas. But with lime prices skyrocketing, I’m having to rethink our typical summer cocktail-which is usually a mojito or a margarita. I’m curious what you’re paying for limes in California? They’re up to .99 cents each here in Maine. And that’s for a small, sad looking little lime. Occasionally I can find them at Target for .69 each but the supply gets cleaned out quickly at that price…

Averie Sunshine Reply:

99 cents each is nuts! I made these drinks in Aruba and got about 6-8 small/medium limes for about $2 US dollars. Not all the limes are juicy a couple per bag are total duds but still, I’d say 50 cents each, max.

In CA, honestly I don’t pay that much attention but I’d say 2 for $1 or 3 for 99 cents in the height of the season? Definitely not 69 or 99 cents each like you’re paying! Gah! I’d try an ethnic or non-mainstream grocery store (i.e. a hole in the wall is fine). The produce is always so much cheaper!

17. Tracy | Pale Yellow — April 24, 2014 at 4:53 pm (#

I had a summer of drinking Skinny Girl margaritas but they started to taste weird after awhile. This recipe sounds perfectly delightful and healthful and just the thing I need for my summer at the beach!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

I’m biased but I much prefer this version to any of the pre-made margaritas. If you try it, LMK!

18. Danae @ reciperunner — April 24, 2014 at 5:10 pm (#

I love that this is all natural and so simple! I don’t make margaritas often for the fact that you stated there are usually so many ingredients and steps, who has time for that when all you want is a cold refreshing drink (or 2, who am I kidding)! Can’t wait to give these a try!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Simple is best, especially with drink-making! :)

19. Emily @ Life on Food — April 24, 2014 at 6:21 pm (#

These photos just scream summertime. Now that it is warmer I cannot think of a better drink to whip up and sip on the back porch.

20. Pam — April 24, 2014 at 6:29 pm (#

Woo hoo, it looks great and will be perfect if and when it ever gets warm here. It’s my first time to your blog, I like it! I’ll be looking around now and thanks for the recipe!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Thanks for finding me and hope you check back, Pam!

21. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking — April 24, 2014 at 6:32 pm (#

Okay, so this is slightly embarrassing but… I’ve never had a margarita. (Only the pizza kind, and that’s spelled differently anyway.) Shortly after I turned 21, I came down with a second round of mono — as if once wasn’t bad enough! — and I just didn’t want to drink while being that sick. It lasted for months and months, and I really haven’t felt like drinking cocktails, beer or wine since then. Crazy, huh? But your margaritas look so refreshing and sound so simple, exactly the way a drink should be!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

That’s great that you’re not much of a drinker! Think of all those mindless calories you’re saving that you can allocate towards….cookies :) Mono, twice. Eek! That had to have been the worst!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking Reply:

Ohmygosh Averie, that’s exactly what I was thinking when I typed out my comment — I’d rather save the calories for an extra cookie!! Especially a double (or quadruple!) chocolate one. Great minds must think alike! :)

[Reply]

22. Love this!! Just finished a convo with my dad about processed food and how its mostly just convenient – I love that this is convenient and FRESH!!!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Fresh is always best, right!

23. Stephanie @ Long Distance Baking — April 24, 2014 at 8:44 pm (#

This looks perfect! I love how simple it is with ingredients always on hand! (yes…tequila is always on hand). Can’t wait to try!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Now that’s a well-stocked pantry, love it :)

24. Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen — April 24, 2014 at 11:28 pm (#

I love how you measured these by ounces and cut out all the sugar – I hate wasting my “sugar calories” on drinks when I’d rather be eating them in cake ;) Pinned and can’t wait to make this summer!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Thanks for pinning and I totally agree with you about sugar calories. I want to eat them, not slurp them mindlessly!

25. Tara | Treble in the Kitchen — April 25, 2014 at 5:05 am (#

I was JUST looking for the perfect Margarita recipe…looks like I found it :)

26. Lisa@Cluttercafe — April 25, 2014 at 5:39 am (#

All these drinks look gorgeous! It may be a drunken weekend!

27. Todd | HonestlyYUM — April 25, 2014 at 7:52 am (#

You’re speaking my language Averie!! LOVE it :)

28. sippitysup — April 25, 2014 at 8:26 am (#

I think you should call this a tequila collins. It’s far more sophisticated than a plain ole margarita! GREG

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Well considering you wrote a book on cocktails and shot them all, I am super flattered that you’d call these sophisticated! I was laying on the floor of my Aruba house sweating like crazy feeling anything but sophisticated as I was shooting these. But it wasn’t stunt liquor. It was the real deal and the set sure tasted great :)

29. Kate @ Diethood — April 25, 2014 at 8:48 am (#

Stunning!!! I love the recipe, I love the photos… absolutely gorgeous!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

xoxo! Wish we could have a few together!

30. Laura (Tutti Dolci) — April 25, 2014 at 8:50 am (#

So gorgeous though I have a feeling these margs could cause some serious trouble ;).

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Thanks, Laura, and yes, they could be trouble!

31. Julie @ This Gal Cooks — April 25, 2014 at 11:07 am (#

We have the same thoughts on the ideal margarita – tart with a dash of sweet to balance it out. I think I need to pick up a bottle of tequila so I can make these this weekend. Great drink, Averie. And pinned too!

32. ATasteOfMadness — April 25, 2014 at 11:56 am (#

This is gorgeous! I love simple recipes like this :)

33. marla — April 25, 2014 at 2:26 pm (#

All of your cocktails look wonderful Averie!! I love the idea of only 3 ingredients too ~ perfect for this time of year & pretty too! Pinning now :)

34. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 25, 2014 at 3:32 pm (#

I love your simple spin on the classic margarita, Averie! Can’t even tell you how badly I could for a tall, sweaty glass with lots of ice and limes!

35. Paula — April 25, 2014 at 6:58 pm (#

I had this made for Jon when he walked in the door. I told him it was one of your recipes and asked what I should tell you about it. He said “it’s excellent–you can make me another”. Good thing the rest was in the fridge! This is the perfect margarita for his taste.

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Oh wow, so glad it passed Friday night muster after a long week – whew! :) It’s so simple but I find it just really hits the spot & glad he liked it!

36. Jackie {The Beeroness} — April 25, 2014 at 8:06 pm (#

Perfect for summer!

37. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 25, 2014 at 10:38 pm (#

Could this margaritas be any prettier? What gorgeous lighting, and styling! I need drink shooting tips from you, friend!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

You start with really bad lighting to begin with, crank up your ISO to 1000 and pray. You lay on the floor of a 90F hot house with no A/C and hope.to.god. you get your shot. You make the drinks with real liquor, not stunt drinks, and sip while shooting. And pray. And I am not kidding. So many minor miracles all had to come together :)

38. Trish - Mom On Timeout — April 26, 2014 at 7:33 am (#

These margaritas look crazy good. I mean need one – or two – after today ;) Pinned!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

I need at least a few. Oh boy, it’s been a couple of doosies around here! thanks for pinning!

39. Julie H — April 26, 2014 at 10:03 am (#

We’ve also used bubbly water from the soda stream, it makes it extra delicious!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Mmm, that would be so good!

40. Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — April 29, 2014 at 10:09 am (#

Great job Averie! You’ve really captured the secret to the best homemade margaritas. Simple, fresh ingredients.

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Brandon they go down way too easily :)

41. Jackiefo — April 29, 2014 at 7:35 pm (#

So this is PERFECT bc I used to think I didn’t like margaritas bc I don’t like sweet drinks, but lately I’ve been getting margaritas on the rocks with salt and I’m obsessed. I love this recipe because I can control the sweetness…what can I say, I’m apparently a cocktail control freak!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

I HAVE to be able to control my drinks. Nothing to do with sugar either. More to do with taste. Bad drinks are as bad as bad desserts…NOT worth the calories and cardio (and possible hangover LOL)!

42. Jocelyn@BruCrew Life — April 30, 2014 at 11:25 am (#

I just love all of your photos, girl. Every single one is stunning! And this drink sounds lovely! :)

Averie Sunshine Reply:

You are so sweet, Jocelyn! Thank you for the compliments! xo

43. Sue — July 12, 2014 at 7:06 am (#

Love this margarita! Made these two weekends in a row–such a hit! Thanks for the recipe; everyone loves them. Tastes so fresh.

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Wish I was at your house :) I love homemade margs and so glad you guys enjoyed these!

44. Karen — December 13, 2014 at 3:36 pm (#

Averie–

I appreciate your attempt to create a more natural margarita, but agave is not a healthier or more natural alternative to sugar. It is highly processed and contains more fructose than HFCS. There are several resources you can find if you google.

Averie Sunshine Reply:

We all have our own opinions and my attitude is everything in moderation and life will be just fine. :) This is a hotly debated topic, one which I have been following for about 10 years now, and am well aware of all the hoopla surrounding agave.

45. Alicia — February 21, 2015 at 2:40 pm (#

I’ve been on your site several times but finding this recipe seems like divine intervention! I made chicken enchilada soup and got the idea that a margarita would be a great compliment. I’ve had an unused bottle of tequila since cinco de mayo 2014…which is strange because I LOVE margaritas…anywho I had all the ingredients for this and it is amazing! No more mixes for me! Also I used Trader Joe’s raspberry lime sparkling water to top it off, added at the end to keep the fizz! Thanks so much!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Thanks for trying the recipe and I’m glad it hit the spot and that you don’t need marg mix now! Woot! It’s Sat. night and I’m about to pour one of these myself :) And with the soup you made, I bet that was a perfect pairing!

46. jae_livsey — March 4, 2015 at 4:27 pm (#

This drink was ah-maze-zing….so delicious!!! Thanks!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Thanks for trying the recipe and I’m glad it came out great for you!

47. James — April 30, 2015 at 7:42 pm (#

This recipe is awesome. It is the same as a Puro Margarita or “Pure” Margarita. A classic that need not be messed with! Thanks for sharing.

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Thanks for trying the recipe and I’m glad you enjoyed the drinks!

48. gina — June 14, 2015 at 2:44 pm (#

We just finished off our first batch of these — perfect for this hot day in the middle of June. Awesome, simply awesome. Thanks so much !!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Thanks for trying the recipe and I’m glad it came out great for you! I’ve had more than my share of these on this hot weekend as well! :)

49. Kevin — July 25, 2015 at 2:14 pm (#

Genius, simply genius.  The wife’s on the way to the grocery store as I’m getting ready to make dinner.  I shout “Let’s have margarita’s; can you add margi mix to the list?”.  She comes back with the 2 liter bottle and complains about the high fructose corn syrup and GMO all over the label.  “All the brands had it!”  She was right.  Began my search for homemade margarita mix and stumbled upon this thing of beauty.  Thank you for the simplicity and basics.  The chartreuse chemical jug is going back to the store and it’s this recipe forever more!  Thanks Averie!

Averie Sunshine Reply:

The chartreuse chemical jug is going back to the store and it’s this recipe forever more! <—- That’s awesome! So glad you’re happy with my version and hope you’ve been enjoying refills tonight :)

50. Fred — July 31, 2015 at 9:38 pm (#

This is a great recipe! I use the agave with 1 gram sugar and stevia added to it. Thank you for a great recipe, so much better than the corn syrup mix and good for you too.

Averie Sunshine Reply:

Thanks for trying the recipe and I’m glad it came out great for you with the agave/stevia mix!