15-Minute Southwestern Chicken and Black Bean Skillet
This post may contain affiliate links.
15-Minute Southwestern Chicken and Black Bean Skillet – An EASY chicken skillet with red onions, black beans, corn, green chiles, lime juice, and cilantro!! So much flavor and texture in every bite of this HEALTHY naturally gluten-free recipe that’s great for planned leftovers and meal prepping!!
Southwestern Black Bean Chicken Skillet
If you’re looking for a fast and easy way to spruce up your usual weeknight chicken dinner, this Southwestern chicken and black beans skillet recipe has you covered.
There is a great Southwestern-inspired flavor profile in this chicken skillet recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes.
Juicy cumin and chili powder-scented chicken is sautéed with red onion and red bell peppers before being tossed with black beans, corn, green chiles, and finished with lime juice and cilantro. So much texture and flavor in every bite! It’s also naturally gluten-free and healthy.
Ingredients in Stovetop Southwestern Black Bean Chicken
To make this chicken with black beans, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Red onion
- Chicken breasts
- Red bell pepper
- Black beans
- Canned diced green chiles
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- Lime juice
- Fresh cilantro
How to Make Chicken with Black Beans and Corn
Drizzle a large skillet with olive oil and briefly sauté diced red onion before adding diced chicken and the red pepper.
Sauté until the chicken is cooked through before adding the black beans, corn, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, coriander, salt and pepper, lime juice, and continue cooking until warmed through, just a few minutes is all it will take.
Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
The dish keeps great in the fridge or freezer so you can feel confident making it as a meal prep recipe so you have planned leftovers waiting for you.
Is the Southwestern Chicken Skillet Spicy?
In my opinion, I wouldn’t call it spicy but it does have fairly bold flavors.
However, we enjoy spicy food and if you don’t, either omit or scale back on the diced green chiles (and don’t use fire-roasted like I did) and/or scale back on the chili powder.
For us, two teaspoons of both cumin and chili powder really makes this dish taste like I wanted it to, but always season to your personal tastes and preferences.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced small
- 1.50 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced into small pieces
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (I used no salt added)
- one 8-ounce can corn, drained and rinsed (or about 3/4 cup frozen corn that you thaw first and discard the liquid)
- one 4-ounce can diced green chiles, do not drain (I used fire-roasted)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 to 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, for garnishing, or to taste
- To a large skillet, add the oil, red onion, and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until onion is beginning to soften and become translucent.
- Add the chicken, red pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through; stir and flip intermittently so the chicken cooks evenly.
- Add the black beans, corn, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, coriander, and stir to combine. Allow mixture to simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Add the lime juice and stir to combine. Taste and check for flavor balance. If it needs more cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, etc. add it. If you want it spicier, add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Evenly sprinkle the cilantro and serve immediately. Recipe will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 393Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 781mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 43g
Related Chicken Recipes:
15-Minute Salsa and Black Bean Chicken Skillet — Fast, EASY, family-friendly, healthy yet hearty, naturally gluten-free, Mexican-inspired meal!! The PERFECT recipe to jazz up your usual weeknight chicken dinner!!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Rice and Beans — This 15-minute recipe is made in a single skillet and tastes even better the next day! You can use it as a taco filling or enjoy as is. You’re going to love all that lime-cilantro flavor!
15-Minute Cheesy Chicken Taco Skillet — Craving tacos minus all the empty carbs? This EASY taco skillet without tortillas is PERFECT!! Fast, EASY, loaded with awesome Mexican-inspired flavors and it’s super CHEESY!!
Chicken Avocado Black Bean Salad — A Mexican-inspired salad with tender chicken, black beans, creamy avocado, juicy tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and more! EASY, ready in 20 minutes, HEALTHY, and packed with fiesta FLAVORS galore!
Easy 30-Minute Southwestern Beef Skillet – Easy, family friendly, ready in 30 minutes, and comfort food at its best! Ground beef, pasta, black beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning, and cheese for a Southwestern flair!
Skinny Mexican Chicken Skillet — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and is a skinny recipe that keeps you full and satisfied!! A great Mexican-inspired meal that’s naturally gluten-free and is a flavor FIESTA in your mouth!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.