Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Brownies
This post may contain affiliate links.
I have quite the collection of brownie recipes but you can never have too many.
And I have a thing for chocolate-covered pretzels. Give me a bag and watch them all disappear.
I’ve made Salted Caramel Pretzel-Topped Fudgy Brownies, Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies, and in keeping with the pretzel theme, I did it again. This time I used chocolate-covered pretzels and used my current favorite brownie base.
It’s a fast, easy, one-bowl, no mixer recipe that’s as easy as using a mix. The brownies are ultra fudgy, not at all cakey, ridiculously rich, and boldly chocolaty.
The crunchy pretzels are the perfect contrast to the fudgy brownies and add awesome texture. And I can’t resist salty-and-sweet treats.
I used storebought chocolate-covered pretzels but you could make your own if you want to get crafty.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 6 ounces dark or bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Trader Joe’s 72% Pound Plus Bar)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee (leftover or cold coffee is okay), optional but recommended
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso granules, optional but recommended
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- about 30 chocolate-covered pretzels, or as needed to cover surface (I used one 5-ounce bag of Flipz Milk Chocolate Pretzels and had a few leftover)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil leaving overhang and spray with cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- To a large microwave-safe bowl, add the butter, chocolate, and heat on high power to melt, about 2 minutes. Stop to check and stir after 1 minute. Heat in 15-second increments until chocolate has melted and mixture can be stirred smooth. Allow mixture to cool momentarily before adding the eggs so they don’t scramble.
- Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, optional coffee, optional espresso granules (neither make brownies taste like coffee and both enhance and round out the chocolate flavor), salt, and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add the flour and stir until smooth and combined; don’t overmix.
- Turn the batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula as necessary and bake for about 21 to 24 minutes, or until center has just set and is no longer glossy. A toothpick should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Baking times will vary based on climate, oven, and exact brands of ingredients used. Always bake until done, whatever time that means for you.
- As soon as brownies emerge from the oven, carefully (the brownies are hot) top with pretzels in an even, flat layer. The chocolate on the pretzels will begin to melt slightly from the heat of the brownies which is a good thing because this acts to ‘glue’ the pretzels onto the brownies.
- Allow brownies to cool in pan on top of a wire rack for at least 2 hours. Lift brownies out using foil overhang, slice, and serve. Brownies will keep airtight at room temp for up to 1 week, in the fridge for up to 10 days, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. I prefer these brownies slightly chilled and store them in the fridge and the pretzels stay fairly crunchy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 582Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 455mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 5gSugar: 40gProtein: 9g
Salted Caramel Pretzel-Topped Fudgy Brownies – Super fudgy scratch brownies as easy as a mix and the salty-and-sweet combo is irresistible!
Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies – Soft chocolate chip cookies packed with chocolate chips and crunchy pretzels!! Salty-and-sweet all in one!
The Best Turtle Brownies – Super fudgy and loaded with chocolate, pecans and caramel! So.crazy.good!
Chocolate Coconut Mounds Bar Brownies – Like eating a Mounds candy bar that’s on top of rich, fudgy brownies!! Easy and oh so good!
Flourless PB & Chocolate Fudgy Brownies (GF) – No flour, no problem! Chocolate and PB are all you need for super fudgy brownies!
Andes Mint Brownies – Super fudgy brownies loaded with Andes! Chocolate + mint is the best! Meet your new favorite brownies and so easy!
Fudgy Nutella Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting – I love this, easy, stir-together, supremely fudgy brownie base so much that I used it in two of my cookbooks!
Fudgy Peanut Butter Cup Brownies – Easy, one-bowl, no mixer brownies with a full-size PB cup in every brownie!
Oreo Cream Cheese Brownies – Fudgy brownies with a layer of cream cheese and tons of Oreos! They’ll be your new favorites!
Smores Brownie Pie – No campfire? No problem! Fudgy brownies topped with toasted marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs!
Homemade Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies – A dead ringer for the real thing and just so good!
Fudgy Nutella Triple Chocolate Brownies – NO eggs, NO oil, NO gluten and you’ll never miss them!!! Stuffed with Nutella, chocolate chips, and topped hot fudge! Fast, easy, and tastes amazing!
The Best Pumpkin Cream Cheese- Filled Brownies – A layer of pumpkin cheesecake inside fudgy brownies! Best pumpkin brownies ever!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.