Mango Chickpea Salad
Mango Chickpea Salad – An EASY salad that’s ready in 5 minutes, HEALTHY, and full of Mexican-inspired flavors!! Great as a meatless lunch, dinner side dish, or for picnics and potlucks!!
If you’re looking for an easy, no-fuss, and healthy salad that’s ready in five minutes, this is one to put on your list.
What’s In The Salad
There’s chickpeas, mango, serrano peppers, tomato, corn, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice.
I have also made it with black beans and it’s just as delicious.
It’s such a flexible salad recipe that if you want to incorporate other ingredients like jicama, zucchini, red cabbage, or even strawberries, they would all taste great. Or if you don’t have one of the ingredients on hand, I wouldn’t worry too much. Just don’t skip the mango.
I used two serrano chile peppers with the seeds scraped out and they do add a noticeable degree of heat to the salad. Not in the first few bites but after a normal-sized serving of the salad you’ll notice the heat.
For the average person, I am guessing you would want to start with half of one chile with the seeds removed and work up from there as desired.
Fresh vs. Frozen Mango
I do recommend fresh mango but I realize it can be hard to come by at some points in the year so if you have to compromise and use frozen, so be it.
I had the pleasure of making this salad in my Puerto Vallarta kitchen where altoufa mangos are common this type of year.
They are smaller and more or a yellow-orange color than the mangos we typically see in US supermarkets which are bigger and tend to be green and turn reddish in parts when they ripen. Altoufa mangos are also sweeter but use whatever type of mango you can get your hands on.
This mango chickpea salad is perfect for satisfying and meatless lunch that keeps you nice and full thanks to all the veggies and the beans.
Or make it as an accompaniment to a main course. Since it has Mexican-inspired flavors, it would be great with most any type of Mexican recipe.
It’s also great for picnics and potlucks since it’s naturally vegan and all the ingredients hold well at room temp. It’s also naturally gluten-free, too.
With all the fresh produce during the summer, you may not have to look farther than your garden for many of the ingredients.
Favorite Mango Recipes:
- 15-Minute Mango Lime Chicken with Rice and Beans – EASY, healthy, and the mango sauce spiked with lime juice is SO tasty!! You can’t go wrong with Mexican-inspired flavors, JUICY chicken, and rice and beans!!
- 15-Minute Teriyaki Chicken and Mango Salad – Fast, EASY, healthy, and sweet mango is the perfect complement to the savory teriyaki chicken!! Save this recipe for when you need a FRESH and TASTY spin on chicken salad!!
- The Best Peach Mango Salsa – This is the best peach mango salsa ever. It’s fast, easy, naturally vegan, gluten-free, low-cal, and healthy!
- Tropical Chickpea Salad – There’s no lettuce in this salad and you won’t miss it. So much texture and flavor in every bite and it’s ready in 5 minutes!
- one 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I use no-salt added)
- 1 or 2 serrano chile peppers, diced very small, diced very small (seeds removed; start with 1/2 of one if you do not want much heat)
- 1 medium mango, peeled and diced small (I used an altoufa mango)
- 1 medium roma tomato, diced small
- 3/4 cup corn (canned drained and rinsed, frozen, or fresh)
- 3/4 cup cucumber, peeled and diced small
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced very small; optional
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 1 to 3 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- To a large bowl, add all ingredients, stir to combine, taste, and check for heat and salt balance, and make any necessary adjustments; i.e. more serranos, lime juice, salt, etc. Serve immediately. Salad will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days, noting that as time passes more liquid will be released from the mango and the vegetables.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 2183mg Carbohydrates: 53g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 20g Protein: 12g
Tropical Chickpea Salad – Pineapple, mango, pineapple salsa, and pico de gallo tossed with chickpeas for a salad that tastes like a tropical vacation!! Easy, ready in 5 minutes, loaded with sweet-yet-savory flavor, and so healthy!!
15-Minute Teriyaki Chicken and Mango Salad – Fast, EASY, healthy, and sweet mango is the perfect complement to the savory teriyaki chicken!! Save this recipe for when you need a FRESH and TASTY spin on chicken salad!!
The Best Peach Mango Salsa (vegan, GF) – Fast, easy, and tastes a million times better than anything storebought! So.darn.good!
Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa – Mango and chipotle is a wonderful pairing and avocado makes everything better!
Sweet and Sour Zucchini Corn Salad – Packed with big, bold flavors and tons of crunch! Healthy, light and not just another salad!
Grilled Chicken With Watermelon Mango Mint Salsa – The chicken is tender, juicy, and the EASY salsa made with watermelon, mango, and mint adds so much fresh FLAVOR!! Healthy, FAST, EASY, zero cleanup, perfect for backyard barbecues or easy weeknight dinners!!
15-Minute Mango Lime Chicken with Rice and Beans – EASY, healthy, and the mango sauce spiked with lime juice is SO tasty!! You can’t go wrong with Mexican-inspired flavors, JUICY chicken, and rice and beans!!
Peach Mango Pineapple White Sangria – A lighter alternative to red sangria, very refreshing, and so good! Make it for your next party!