Healthier 20-Minute Skillet Lasagna
Healthier 20-Minute Skillet Lasagna – A fast, EASY, SKINNIER way to enjoy lasagna – in skillet form!! Comfort food without the guilt! Warm pasta and beef topped with tomato sauce and Parmesan is IRRESISTIBLE!!
Fast, Easy, Healthier Comfort Food
When you’re pressed for time, need to get dinner on the table on a busy weeknight, and are craving something warm and comforting, but still on the healthier side, look no further than this easy recipe.
I realize two things and am pointing them out so that I don’t get a slew of salty comments. First, pasta isn’t healthy or inherently a ‘skinny’ food. No, it’s not but with portion control and when tossed with a fat-free tomato sauce, it’s not the worst thing in the world.
Secondly, this isn’t traditional “lasagna” but there’s beef, noodles, tomato sauce, Parmesan, and basil. And that my friends is my definition of skillet lasagna.
How To Make Skinnier Skillet Lasagna
Boil the pasta and while that’s going, saute an onion and extra-lean ground beef, and add garlic and oregano.
I used bowtie pasta but your favorite small-shape pasta will work such as ziti, rotini, small shells, or wheels.
I used 93% lean ground beef but use what suits your needs.
Combine the cooked pasta with the beef mixture, add tomato sauce, stir to combine, and dinner is almost ready.
Fresh basil adds the perfect finishing touch and you can’t have lasagna without cheese. But as we all know, cheese isn’t skinny at all, and reduced fat cheeses don’t tend to melt as well as full-fat versions.
So my cheese compromise was to use 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan but you can add less, and by all means, you can add more.
And if you’re a cheese fanatic and the skinnier-healthier aspect really doesn’t matter to you, fresh or grated mozzarella stirred in would be lovely. Cheese it up, or down, based on your preferences.
How Does The Shortcut Healthier Lasagna Taste?
In a word, it’s great. It’s not oozing with ricotta, layers and layers of noodles, with more cheese, meat, and sauce, but as long as we remember this is a great alternative to traditional lasagna which not only is fattening, but time-consuming, then this easy skillet lasagna tastes even better.
This is also an excellent meal prep recipe. It’s makes six hearty portions and you can keep them in individual containers in the fridge or freezer to have an easy grab-and-reheat meal at your fingertips. I love a good freezer stash.
- 12 ounces bowtie pasta, cooked according to package directions (ziti, rotini, small shells, wheels, etc. may be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet Vidalia onion, diced small
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (I used 93% lean)
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 25-ounces fat-free tomato sauce (marinara sauce or pasta sauce are okay)
- salt and pepper, optional and to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped; optional for garnishing
- 1/3 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Boil pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside. While pasta boils, continue with step 2.
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, onion, and saute over medium-high heat for about 3 to 4 minutes or until onion just begins to soften.
- Add the ground beef and break it up and crumble it with a spatula as it cooks to ensure even cooking; cook until done stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, oregano, and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir nearly constantly.
- Add the tomato sauce, cooked pasta, optional salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine.
- Optionally add the basil, evenly sprinkle the Parmesan, and serve. Pasta will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 385 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 82mg Sodium: 1024mg Carbohydrates: 32g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 8g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 33g
Related Pasta Recipes
Easy 30-Minute One-Skillet Lasagna – Everything cooks in one skillet and you don’t even need to boil the noodles separately!! Full of classic lasagna flavor but so much faster and easier! Now you can make lasagna on busy weeknights!!
Cheesy Beef and Pasta Casserole – Hearty comfort food that’s EASY and IRRESISTIBLE!! Cheesy pasta and beef coated in marinara sauce and topped with more CHEESE! Makes planned leftovers and is freezer-friendly!!
One Pot Italian Sausage and Tomato Basil Pasta – An EASY comfort food recipe that’s loaded with Italian flavors, ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE pot, and a family favorite!! No need to boil the pasta separately to save time and dishes!!
Beef Taco Pasta Skillet – An EASY recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE skillet, and loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors!! A family favorite that’s great for busy weeknights!!
One-Skillet Tex Mex Beef Mac & Cheese – An EASY recipe that’s made in ONE skillet so you don’t have to cook the pasta separately!! Loaded with ground beef, peppers, tomatoes, cheese, and cilantro! A family FAVORITE that feeds a crowd!!
One Skillet Beef Taco Pasta – An EASY recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE skillet, and loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors!! A family favorite that’s great for busy weeknights!!
Easy 30-Minute Taco Macaroni and Cheese – Super creamy, ultra cheesy, flavored with taco seasoning, black beans, green onions, tomatoes, and cilantro!! EASY comfort food with a Mexican flair that’s a family FAVORITE!!
30-Minute One-Pot Beef and Bowtie Soup – EASY, hearty, comfort food that’s full of flavor!! A FAST and tasty soup the whole family will LOVE! It will keep your warm on chilly winter nights!!
Pizza Pasta Casserole – EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and for times when you want BOTH pizza AND pasta!! Ground beef, pepperoni, and oodles of cheese make this casserole pure COMFORT FOOD! Feeds a crowd!!