Healthier 20-Minute Skillet Lasagna — A fast, EASY, healthier way to enjoy lasagna — in skillet form!! Warm pasta and beef topped with tomato sauce and Parmesan is IRRESISTIBLE!!
Fast, Easy, Healthier Comfort Food
When you’re pressed for time, need to get dinner on the table on a busy weeknight, and are craving something warm and comforting, but still on the healthier side, look no further than this easy bowtie lasagna recipe.
I realize two things and am pointing them out so that I don’t get a slew of salty comments. First, pasta isn’t a healthy or inherently a ‘skinny’ food. No, it’s not but with portion control and when tossed with a fat-free tomato sauce, it’s not the worst thing in the world.
Secondly, this isn’t traditional “lasagna” but there’s beef, noodles, tomato sauce, Parmesan, and basil. And that, my friends, is my definition of skillet lasagna.
In a word, it’s great. It’s not oozing with ricotta, layers and layers of noodles, with more cheese, meat, and sauce, but as long as we remember this is a great alternative to traditional lasagna, which not only is fattening but also time-consuming, then this easy skillet lasagna tastes even better.
What’s in Skillet Lasagna?
For this one-skillet lasagna recipe, you’ll need:
- Bowtie pasta
- Olive oil
- Sweet Vidalia onion
- Lean ground beef
- Dried oregano
- Tomato sauce
- Fresh basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make Healthier One-Skillet Lasagna
Skillet lasagna is the definition of easy, hearty, comfort food. Here’s how I made the bowtie lasagna, with a healthier twist:
- Boil the pasta and while that’s going, sauté an onion and extra-lean ground beef, and add garlic and oregano.
- Combine the cooked pasta with the beef mixture, add tomato sauce, stir to combine, and dinner is almost ready.
- Fresh basil adds the perfect finishing touch and you can’t have lasagna without cheese!
Tip: If you’re a cheese fanatic and the skinnier / healthier aspect really doesn’t matter to you, fresh or grated mozzarella stirred in would be lovely. Cheese it up — or down — based on your preferences.
Can This Recipe Be Prepped in Advance?
Yes! This is an excellent meal prep recipe. It’s makes six hearty portions and you can keep them in individual containers in the fridge or freezer to have an easy grab-and-reheat meal at your fingertips. I love a good freezer stash.
What to Serve with Bowtie Lasagna
Here are some sides you can serve with this one-skillet lasagna:
- Apple Cheddar Spinach Salad
- Orange Glazed Brussels Sprouts
- Herb Roasted Carrots
- Balsamic Roasted Broccoli
- Twelve Superfoods Salad
Tips for Making Easy Skillet Lasagna
I used bowtie pasta but your favorite small-shape pasta will work such as ziti, rotini, small shells, or wheels.
I used 93% lean ground beef, but use what suits your needs. Ground chicken, turkey, or sausage would also work.
As we all know, cheese isn’t “healthy” at all, and reduced fat cheeses don’t tend to melt as well as full-fat versions. So my cheese compromise was to use 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan but you can add less, and by all means, you can add more.
Pin This Recipe
- 12 ounces bowtie pasta, cooked according to package directions (ziti, rotini, small shells, wheels, etc. may be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet Vidalia onion, diced small
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (I used 93% lean)
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 25-ounces fat-free tomato sauce (marinara sauce or pasta sauce are okay)
- salt and pepper, optional and to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped; optional for garnishing
- 1/3 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Boil pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside. While pasta boils, continue with step 2.
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, onion, and saute over medium-high heat for about 3 to 4 minutes or until onion just begins to soften.
- Add the ground beef and break it up and crumble it with a spatula as it cooks to ensure even cooking; cook until done stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, oregano, and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir nearly constantly.
- Add the tomato sauce, cooked pasta, optional salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine.
- Optionally add the basil, evenly sprinkle the Parmesan, and serve. Pasta will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 385Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 1024mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 33g
More Skillet Pasta Recipes:
Lemon Pepper Chicken Pasta — EASY and ready in 15 minutes with comforting pasta, juicy chicken, and there is so much ZESTY flavor from the lemon, basil, and spinach!! A family favorite that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
One Pot Italian Sausage and Tomato Basil Pasta – An EASY comfort food recipe that’s loaded with Italian flavors, ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE pot, and a family favorite!! No need to boil the pasta separately to save time and dishes!!
Lemon Butter Garlic Chicken Pasta — Buttery pasta with juicy chicken, flavored with lemon butter and garlic, and finished with Parmesan cheese!! A family-friendly dinner recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes and it’s so EASY!!
Beef Taco Pasta Skillet – An EASY recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE skillet, and loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors!! A family favorite that’s great for busy weeknights!!
Cheesy Beef Ravioli — EASY, ready in 30 minutes, and it’s pure cheesy COMFORT FOOD in every bite!! Makes a big batch and it’s perfect for meal prep and planned freezer meals! A guaranteed family FAVORITE you’ll want on repeat!!
One-Skillet Tex Mex Beef Mac & Cheese – An EASY recipe that’s made in ONE skillet so you don’t have to cook the pasta separately!! Loaded with ground beef, peppers, tomatoes, cheese, and cilantro! A family FAVORITE that feeds a crowd!!
One Skillet Beef Taco Pasta – An EASY recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE skillet, and loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors!! A family favorite that’s great for busy weeknights!!