Lemon Butter Garlic Shrimp with Angel Hair Pasta
Lemon Butter Garlic Shrimp Pasta — Buttery noodles with juicy plump shrimp, flavored with lemon and garlic!! A family-friendly dinner recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes and it’s so EASY!!
Garlic Lemon Shrimp Pasta
Angel hair is great to accompany this lemon garlic shrimp because it cooks so quickly and so do shrimp. Even large shrimp only take a couple minutes to cook through.
The angel hair pasta is perfectly al dente and wonderfully buttery. The shrimp are juicy, plump, and have so much flavor from the garlic. Make sure you don’t overcook them so they’re not rubbery or tough.
The lemon adds a wonderful brightness to the dish and is a perfect complement to shrimp.
And anything tossed in butter automatically tastes great.
What’s in Garlic Shrimp Pasta?
To make this angel hair pasta with shrimp, you’ll need:
- Angel hair pasta
- Unsalted butter
- Garlic powder
- Large shrimp
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
How to Make Lemon Garlic Shrimp Pasta
Cook the angel hair pasta according to package instructions. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet and cook the shrimp until done. Be sure to season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder at this stage.
Add the lemon juice and zest, then add the cooked pasta to the skillet. Toss to coat in the lemon butter sauce for the pasta.
What Size Shrimp Should I Use?
You can use any size raw shrimp you’d like for this recipe. I prefer 12-15 count shrimp, but use whatever you have on hand or is easy to find in the seafood case at your grocery store.
Can I Use Frozen Shrimp?
Most likely, yes. However, I recommend using fresh shrimp in this lemon garlic shrimp pasta. The shrimp are the main event in this dish, so it’s important that you buy the best quality you can get your hands on.
Tips for Making Lemon Shrimp Pasta
To save chopping time, and because I don’t like biting into little pieces of garlic no matter how small I mince it, I used garlic powder. Feel free to chop a clove or two of garlic and sauté it with the butter if you prefer garlic cloves.
Be sure to use raw shrimp in this recipe and not a pre-cooked variety. I worry that if you use pre-cooked shrimp, you’ll wind up overcooking them and making them rubbery.
I bet you could easily swap in diced chicken if you don’t have any shrimp on hand. Just note that chicken may need to cook a little longer than shrimp.
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta, cooked according to package directions (half of a 1-pound box)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled, de-veined, and cleaned with tails off (I prefer 12-15 count shrimp)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
To a large skillet, add the butter and heat over medium-high heat to melt.
- Stir in the garlic powder.
- Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes total, or until just pink and cooked through. Flip shrimp halfway through cooking. Cooking time will vary based on size of shrimp and pan used; don’t overcook or shrimp will become rubbery and tough.
- Add the lemon juice, optional lemon zest, and stir briefly to combine.
- Turn the heat to low, add the pasta to skillet with the shrimp, and toss to combine and coat.
- Taste, check for seasoning balance, and make any desired tweaks (add more salt, pepper, garlic powder, lemon juice, etc.).
- Serve immediately.
- Dish is best warm and fresh, but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat gently prior to serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 300mgSodium: 1348mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 29g
More Easy Pasta Recipes:
Honey Lemon Chicken with Angel Hair Pasta — Easy, ready in 20 minutes, and you’ll love the tangy-sweet flavor!! A healthy weeknight dinner for those busy nights!
One-Bag Lemon Chicken and Pasta – An EASY lemon chicken and pasta recipe that’s family-friendly and perfect for busy weeknights!! Everything cooks in ONE bag! The chicken is juicy, the pasta is tender, and cleanup is a breeze!!
Greek Lemon Chicken and Orzo — EASY, ready in 25 minutes, and feeds a crowd!! Juicy lemon chicken with orzo, fresh spinach, cucumbers, and tomatoes make this a dinnertime WINNER!
Lemon Pepper Basil Chicken and Pasta – EASY and ready in 15 minutes with comforting pasta, juicy chicken, and there is so much ZESTY flavor from the lemon, basil, and spinach!
Lemon Basil Orzo and Vegetables – An EASY vegan recipe ready in 30 minutes that makes it easy to eat your veggies while enjoying the comforts of pasta, too!! The lemon and basil make the dish taste fresh and light!!
Parmesan Chicken and Spinach Pasta – EASY and ready in 20 minutes with comforting pasta, juicy chicken, a hint of lemon, and the PERFECT amount of Parmesan!! Great for busy weeknights and the extra is good for meal prepping!!
Skinny Italian Chicken Pasta Salad – EASY, ready in 30 minutes, feeds a crowd, and is on the SKINNY side!! Juicy chicken, fresh veggies, and the pasta are tossed in a light and tangy homemade Italian lemon vinaigrette!!
Originally published March 20, 2015 and republished April 1, 2020 with updated text.