Skinny Sheet Pan Chicken with Mushrooms and Onions
This post may contain affiliate links.
Skinny Sheet Pan Chicken with Mushrooms and Onions – Fast, EASY, HEALTHY, and a FLEXIBLE recipe based on what you have on hand!! A ONE-PAN meal with zero cleanup is the best kind of meal, especially for busy weeknights!!
Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Dinner Recipe
I love sheet pan dinners because they’re easy, tasty, and ready in no time.
The chicken in this recipe is tender, juicy, and infused with flavor from the red onions, paprika, oregano, and fresh parsley.
I love biting into the whole baby portobello mushrooms. Their succulent juicy texture is everything for me and their flavor from roasting alongside the red onions is fabulous.
This accidentally skinny chicken dinner gets bonus points for having lean protein, vegetables, it’s naturally gluten-free, and it’s as easy as throwing everything on a sheet pan and in 20 minutes, dinner is served.
I used two pounds of chicken for this recipe to ensure for planned leftovers but you can easily scale that down if desired and bake a few minutes less.
Ingredients in Sheet Pan Chicken with Assorted Vegetables
To make the roasted chicken and veggies, you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts
- Red onion
- Baby portobello mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
How to Make Skinny Roasted Chicken and Veggies
This sheet pan chicken and vegetables recipe couldn’t be any easier! I recommend lining a sheet pan with foil for easier cleanup, then add the chicken and veggies, drizzle with olive oil, and season before baking.
Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Finish it off with a bit of fresh parsley and dig in!
Are Mushrooms Mandatory?
No they are not! I know they can be a bit of a controversial food and people either love them or hate ’em! If you’re not a fan or your family isn’t a fan, feel free to omit them.
I used baby portobellos because I tend to have them on hand but if you have some fancier versions of fresh mushrooms, you can try them and see how they work. However, since I haven’t experimented with other varieties, I can’t give guidance how they will turn out.
Tips for Making The Best Sheet Pan Chicken
The great thing about sheet pan meals is that they’re really flexible. In this particular sheet pan recipe I used mushrooms, red onions, and zucchini because that’s what I had on hand and was craving.
My daughter is not a fan of mushrooms and if you have a ‘shroom hater in your group, you can easily pick around them. I keep the mushroom whole for two reasons. First, they don’t overcook and secondly they are easy to pick around for those selective eaters among us.
Feel free to get creative with the vegetables you incorporate. Other vegetables that would be great include broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, sugar snap peas, carrots, or bell peppers.
Keep the vegetables chunkier than you think you need to because otherwise they’ll have a tendency to overcook in the form of becoming mushy (zucchini) or burnt (almost all other vegetables, especially broccoli florets).
If you have a convection oven, use it. You don’t need to alter or reduce the temperature but I recommend rotating your pan once halfway through to ensure more even cooking.
- 1.50 to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into large chunks
- 8 ounces baby portobello mushrooms (white button mushroom may be substituted; I keep them whole so they don't overcook)
- 1 medium/large zucchini, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika, or to taste (smoked paprika may be substituted)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (I used flat-leaf), finely minced for garnishing, or to taste; optional (basil, thyme, or other fresh herbs may be substituted, to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425F (use Convection if you have it, you don't have to reduce the temp) and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier cleanup (recommended).
- Add the chicken, red onion, mushrooms with the stem/gill side facing up, zucchini, evenly drizzle with olive oil, evenly season with paprika, oregano, salt, pepper, and toss with your hands very well to coat evenly.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Cooking time will vary based on the thickness of the chicken, if you used 2 full pounds, the size of your other vegetables, and being that this is quite a hot oven, check starting at 15 minutes and often so you don’t overcook the chicken which can dry out quickly. I recommend rotating your baking sheet midway through roasting to ensure even cooking, especially if you're using a convection oven.
- Optionally garnish with parsley and serve immediately. Extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 471mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 49g
Favorite Sheet Pan Chicken Recipes:
Sheet Pan Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Chicken – EASY, HEALTHY, and a great way to enjoy roasted sweet potatoes in less time!! A DELISH one-pan juicy chicken dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes with zero cleanup!!
15-Minute Sheet Pan Lemon Pepper Chicken – Fast, EASY, HEALTHY, and loaded with great lemon pepper flavor!! A DELISH one-pan meal with zero cleanup that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
Sheet Pan Ginger Orange Chicken and Vegetables – Fast, EASY, HEALTHY, and loaded with great orange ginger flavor!! A DELISH one-pan meal with zero cleanup that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
15-Minute Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple – Fast, EASY, and loaded with fabulous teriyaki flavor!! Tender chicken, juicy pineapple, and crisp-tender veggies make make for a DELISH one-pan meal with zero cleanup!!
Sheet Pan Skinny Lemon Pepper Chicken and Vegetables – An EASY sheet pan chicken dinner that’s ready in 25 minutes!! Bonus that it’s SKINNY and has so much FLAVOR from the lemon pepper!!
Sweet Chili Roasted Chicken and Vegetables – EASY, ready in 15 minutes, made on ONE sheet pan, and perfect for busy weeknights!! Accidentally healthy yet packed with the perfect flavor balance – a little bit sweet with a little bit of heat!!
Harvest Roasted Vegetables and Chickpeas – Fast, easy, HEALTHY, and a great recipe to try as a meatless main or as a satisfying plant-based lunch!! So much FLAVOR in the veggies from the spices and the chickpeas turn crispy!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.