Taco Pizza — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and like eating a taco in pizza form!! Taco-seasoned ground beef on top of refried beans with melted cheese and your favorite taco fixings!!
Mexican Taco Pizza Recipe
Imagine enjoying your favorite beef taco ingredients, in pizza form, and that’s what you have in this easy taco pizza that’s ready in 20 minutes.
Instead of traditional pizza sauce, I spread a layer of refried beans over the crust. The refried beans are a natural complement to the taco-seasoned ground beef and onions. It’s a match made in heaven and gets even better when there’s melted cheese.
The fresh tomatoes and cilantro are great cooling contrasts to the warm, steamy pizza.
You’ll see the exact ingredients I used in the recipe card below, but feel free to adjust the toppings on this taco pizza recipe to suit your own preferences.
Ingredients in Taco Pizza
To make this homemade taco pizza, you’ll need:
- Sweet Vidalia onion
- Lean ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Frozen pizza crusts
- Black seasoned refried beans
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Roma tomato
- Fresh cilantro
How to Make Taco Pizza
Seasoned ground beef on pizza? Just trust me on this! Here’s how the taco pizza recipe is made:
- First, brown some ground beef with onion, add taco seasoning, and that is the main filling component of your pizza.
- Before adding the taco-seasoned ground beef to a frozen pizza crust, first spread a nice layer of black seasoned refried beans.
- Top with the juicy taco meat, add shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, and bake.
- Garnish with tomatoes, cilantro, and dive right in!
Can I Make a Homemade Pizza Crust?
Yes, you can use homemade pizza crust for this Mexican pizza.
Can I Use Pre-Made (Shelf-Stable) Pizza Crust?
You could potentially use shelf-stable, pre-made pizza crust for this taco pizza recipe, but since I have not tried that, I don’t know if you should prebake it or not.
Can I Use Refrigerated Pizza Dough?
You could potentially use ready-to-roll-out, fresh, refrigerated pizza dough like Trader Joe’s and some grocery stores sell. Or buy one pound from your local pizzeria. Again, not sure if you should pre-bake that or not. My guess is yes, but I haven’t tested it.
In the final analysis, frozen pizza crust is the easiest and most foolproof option here.
Tips for the Best Mexican-Style Pizza
The beef and refried beans make enough to generously top one big 16-ounce pizza crust, or two smaller 8-ounce pizza crusts. I made two 8-ounces crusts and bought my frozen pizza crusts from Trader Joe’s. The true net weight of the box of the two crusts was 15.55, close enough to 16 ounces.
If you’re using frozen pizza crust like the recipe calls for, use it straight from the freezer. You don’t need or want to thaw it or prebake it. Just grab from the freezer, top the crusts with beans, beef, cheese, and bake.
Feel free to garnish the pizza with a bit of taco sauce, sliced avocado, guacamole, black olives, shredded lettuce, a dash of salsa, red or green onions, or whatever floats your pizza boat.
What to Serve with Taco Pizza
Not sure what to serve with this Mexican-style pizza? Here are some of my favorites:
- Classic Margaritas or Beergaritas
- Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salad
- Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad
- Mexican Wedge Salad
- Tres Leches Cake
Pin This Recipe
Mexican Taco Pizza
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia onion, diced small
- 1 pound lean ground beef, I used 85% lean
- olive oil, optional if necessary
- one 1.25-ounce packet taco seasoning
- two 8-ounce frozen pizza crusts, read blog post for crust discussion
- one 15-ounce can black seasoned refried beans, divided
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheddar cheese blend, divided
- 1 Roma tomato, diced small, divided
- fresh cilantro, for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 425F and line one or two sheet pans with parchment paper or a Silpat; set aside.*
- To a large skillet, add the onion, beef, olive oil if necessary, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until beef is cooked through and onions are soft and translucent; crumble beef as it cooks and stir frequently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the taco seasoning and stir to combine. Take skillet off the heat and set aside.
- Place the frozen pizza crusts directly from the freezer on either one or two sheet pans, depending on the exact size of your crusts and pans.
- Add an equal amount of the refried beans to both crusts, leaving a bare 1-inch margin from the edges.
- Add an equal amount of the beef mixture to both crusts.
- Add 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese to each crust.
- Add 1 cup cheddar cheese to each crust.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crusts are as cooked through as desired.
- Add an equal amount of tomato and cilantro as desired to both crusts and serve immediately. Pizza is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- *Note – You can bake the pizzas directly on your oven racks for a crispier crust but that is too messy/risky for me if something falls, breaks, slips, etc. I do not want to be cleaning my oven later.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
©averiecooks.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
More Easy Pizza Recipes:
10-Minute Skillet Pizza – A FAST, EASY, and foolproof recipe to make pizza at home in 10 minutes!! Don’t call for delivery when you can make this pizza in minutes! Such IRRESISTIBLE cheesy goodness!!
Barbecue Chicken Pizza — So good and easy, ready in 15 minutes and reminds me of California Pizza Kitchen’s barbecue chicken pizza except I think homemade is better!
Prosciutto and Balsamic Greens Flatbread – The answer to those times you should be eating a salad but feel like pizza!! Part kale salad, part pizza, perfect for FAST weeknight dinners or EASY entertaining!!
Greek Chicken Pita Pizzas – Chicken gyros transformed into FAST, EASY, and HEALTHY pita pizzas!! There’s juicy chicken, homemade tzatziki sauce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and feta on pita bread!! FRESH and LIGHT!!
10-Minute Grilled Pepperoni Pizza –Such an easy and fast pizza! If you’ve never tried making pizza on the grill, you need to try it! It’s foolproof, delicious, faster than calling for delivery, and pizza is always a winner!
Three Cheese Pizza — Homemade pizza is the BEST! And when there are 3 cheeses involved, even better! Fast, easy, and better than calling for pizza delivery.
Mini Pepperoni Pizzas — These little pizzas are perfect for tailgating, as after-school snacks, or as mindlessly fast and easy party appetizers.